Monday, January 21, 2013


THE CONSTITUTION AIN'T IN EFFECT IN OKALOOSA COUNTY



DAY FOUR: Prison Diary January 6, 2013 Solitary Confinement Okaloosa C.I., Crestview, FL


You would think that these people should know better, locking me up in a cell for a month with a hundred sheets of paper and a pen. What could be the harm? As someone once said, "They can kill me, but they can't eat me."

My latest confinement poem for your enjoyment:

IN THE DARKNESS

In the darkness
I dream of light,
Bright places
Where the sun shines
And grass grows,
Trees sway in rhythm
Casting cool shadows
While children dash and play,
Their laughter tinkling
Like so many wind chimes
In the breeze.

In the darkness
My eyes open
To visions of clouds
In their whites and gray
Puffiness, moving cotton
Balls with blue sky
Framing them, birds coasting,
Incurious of the figures
Below, spread out on colored
Blankets patchworking the park,
Food and music - a happy picnic.

In the darkness
I feel the warmth
Of my lover beside me,
Her hand grasping mine,
I sense her smile
At the joy of children and dogs
Running, leaping, in clueless safety,
For a moment eternity is stilled,
I inhale the sweet scent of love
I see everything,
Although some say nothing.

In the darkness
I am young and free, for awhile.

Charlie


No comments: