Friday, April 11, 2008

COMMUNIQUES FROM A DEAD MAN

COMMUNIQUES FROM A DEAD MAN

Dateline: April 5, 2008 Location: Deep inside a prison cell in Florida


Thirty years ago today, I had no idea that in a few short hours my life would be over. I discovered that there is a place between Heaven and Hell, and my body and soul have been suspended in Purgatory for 10,959 days now, more or less, but who’s counting?
Six-thirty A.M., I was peacefully dreaming in my bed in our little house north of the University of South Florida, when my girlfriend, Debbie, lying next to me, woke me screaming.
“Get out, get out! Go! Just go! Get out now! Hurry! They’re coming for you!”
Her panicked voice startled me awake, freaked me out, and I thought she was trying to kick me out of the house.
“Hey, I’m not going anywhere, I live here.”
Her eyes focused on mine – it was like she was coming out of a nightmare – and she clung to me.
“You have to go. You’re in danger. Just leave. I’ll follow you later. They’re going to kill you.”
I scoffed at her fears. I shouldn’t have. At two-thirty that afternoon eight TPD detectives with shaking shotguns surrounded my car and told me to get out, don’t make a move, or they’d shoot.
At that moment life as I knew it ended.

No comments: