Saturday, March 15, 2014

PRISON MAIL GRINCHES REJECT MAIL



02/27/14


Refused and rejected mail

In the past three months several friends have sent me cards or letters that were refused, rejected, and eventually returned to sender. Although the reasons were invalid and in violation of federal court rulings on handling mail to and from prisoners, nevertheless, most of the cards and letters were refused because they had one or more decorative, adhesive “stickers” on the envelope. This is pure mean-spirited spite by hostile mail room staff who retaliate against me every chance they get, because I had the audacity to file complaints against them for mishandling my mail. I was not notified that the mail was sent back, and only learned of several when they told Libby via e-mail. I learned of two others from a grievance response.

I don’t get much mail anymore, but I treasure what is sent to me. They play games with my mail in an attempt to isolate me from the world, friends and loved ones. I don’t want them to think their evil tactics are working.

Return address labels don’t count, but if you do send me a card or letter please don’t  decorate the envelope with stickers, no matter how innocent. Thanks.

The second excuse the mail grinches have used to reject my mail is if someone addresses the envelope to “Charlie” Norman, rather than the official “Charles” Norman. That is also the subject of a federal legal complaint, but for the time being, please be sure to address any mail to me this way: Charles Norman #881834
                                                             Okaloosa Correctional Institution
                                                              3189 Colonel Greg Malloy Rd.
                                                               Crestview, FL  32539

No matter how much they target  and harass me through tampering with and hindering my mail, I maintain a positive attitude and follow the legal remedies available to me. The First Amendment to the U. S. Constitution guarantees every person’s freedom of speech, and that includes prisoners. Federal courts have repeatedly ruled against any governmental efforts to restrict correspondence to and from prisoners. Free citizens retain even stronger federal protections of their rights to communicate with people in prison. So if you have had a letter rejected, don’t get discouraged. Just resend the letter with the offending detail removed, and let me know, so I can file another appeal.

Thanks, and best regards,
Charlie

No comments: