Wednesday, March 18, 2020

''The Guardians''---A Look at Wrongful Imprisonment.



Author John Grisham's best-selling legal thrillers have featured wrongful imprisonment before, particularly ''An Innocent Man,'' based on a real case.

I just finished reading Grisham's newest book, ''The Guardians,'' and was struck by his depiction of several cases of wrongful convictions that had strong parallels to my own forty-two years of wrongful imprisonment. These cases often involve overzealous and corrupt cops and prosecutors, perjured testimonies of convicted felons and jailhouse snitches, withheld exculpatory evidence, and immunity from prosecution for guilty parties.

If you're the least bit interested in how I got to where I am, how easy it is to be an innocent person wrongfully convicted of murder, I strongly recommend ''The Guardians,'' by John Grisham. The dedicated fictional lawyers are based on a real group, ''Centurion Ministries,''
( https://centurion.org/ ) in New Jersey, that has been responsible for scores of legal vindications.

I can only pray that my odyssey ends as positively as some of the fictional cases Grisham so expertly brings to life.

Charlie


No comments: